There are several command line utilities included in Mono that constitute the development toolchain. These are key components which you’ll want to familiarize yourself with:
- mono is the Mono runtime and Just In Time compiler (JIT)
- mcs, Mono’s C# compiler
- gacutil is a tool used by developers to install versioned assemblies into the system Global Assembly Cache (GAC) to become part of the assemblies that are available for all applications at runtime.
- xsp, Mono’s stand alone ASP.NET web services and web application server
- mono-config - Mono runtime file format configuration
- mkbundle - Create and cross-compile self-contained executables with no external dependencies.
- ilasm: IL assembler
- monodis: IL disassembler and metadata explorer
- ikdasm: IL disassembler, more robust, but lacks some of the metadata features of monodis.
- monop: command line class display (Try:
- sn: StrongName (code signing) utility for signing IL assemblies
- sqlsharp: command line SQL client for most of the the System.Data based DB Connectors
- Gendarme: Rule-based assembly analyser for developers.
- Monoxide: Interactive assembly analyser.
- csharp: An interactive shell (REPL) for C#.
XML & Web Service
(see man pages and Microsoft docs)
- wsdl & wsdl2
Project conversion & deployment
- prj2make: Convert Microsoft Visual Studio 2002 and 2003 solution and project files to makefiles to ease the transition to Mono
- mkbundle: Packages an exe and all assemblies with libmono into a single binary package.
- macpak: Packages mono and assemblies together so they may run on macOS
- caspol: Tool to modify Code Access Security CAS policies.
- cert2spc: Transform a set of X.509 certificates and CRLs into an Authenticode(tm) “Software Publisher Certificate”
- certmgr: Manage X.509 certificates and CRL from stores.
- chktrust: Verify if an PE executable has a valid Authenticode(tm) signature
- makecert: X.509 Certificate Builder, e.g. SSL server/client, Authenticode(tm)
- mozroots: Download and import trusted root certificates from Mozilla’s LXR.
- permview: Permission Viewer for .NET assemblies.
- secutil: Extract strongname and X509 certificates from assemblies.
- setreg: Change settings for public key cryptography.
- signcode: Sign assemblies and PE files using Authenticode(tm).