Some articles written by the Mono team are hosted on this site.
We offer links to some articles, tutorials and interviews in other sites as well.
Articles on this Site
- Profile Documents the new Mono 2.10 profiler.
- CoreClrHowTo describes how to activate the CoreCLR Security sandbox in your own application when embedding the Mono runtime.
- MonoMacPackager discussed how Mono can be used to package MonoMac applications.
MonoMac describes the new effort to bind all of MacOS X APIs to create OSX-native applications using Mono.
Profiler documents the new Mono profiles that will be available in Mono 2.10.
Mono_LLVM describes how to use LLVM as the code generation engine in Mono, starting with release 2.8
Mono:Runtime:Documentation we moved most of our runtime documentation to the Mono Website and we are now maintaining it here.
GitFAQ Common questions about Mono's migration to Git and GitHub for source code control.
CSharpRepl discussed our interactive shell for our C# Compiler as a Service.
- Guide: Porting ASP.NET Application with Mono.
- Guide: Porting Windows.Forms Applications with Mono.
- Mono DataConvert: A new API for doing data conversion (little endian, big endian, system) that is better designed than System.BitConverter and designed to replace it within Mono and other applications.
- Introduction to Mono.Addins: An article explaining the new Mono.Addins framework for creating extensible applications.
- Guide:StarterKitPrimer: a tutorial on getting the Personal Starter Kit from ASP.NET running with Mono.
- ThreadsBeginnersGuide: a short tutorial introducing the very basics of developing applications with multiple threads.
- Using Mono with X-Code on MacOS X: a tutorial on how to set up Mono and the CSharp Plugin to develop applications on OS/X.
- Guidelines:Application_Portability a new document to assist developers in porting their applications to Unix/Linux from Windows using Mono.
A few Mono-centric tutorials created by Jan Bodnar:
- C# Tutorial
- Visual Basic Tutorial
- Qt/Qyoto and C# tutorial
- QT/Qyoto and Visual Basic tutorial
- Visual Basic Gtk# tutorial
- Visual Basic and Windows.Forms tutorial
- MySQL and Visual Basic Tutorial
H Magazine: Mono 2.8 release.
Nathan Bridgewater: Porting an ASP.NET MVC WebSite to Mono is a three part series blog that covers how to port an ASP.NET MVC website application to Mono:
- Part 1: Installing the Software
- Part 2: Setting up and Configuring MySQL
- Part 3: Walk through porting the ASP.NET MVC website.
InfoQ: MonoTouch on the iPad.
CodeProject Develop Mono Applications for the XO Laptop.
ZetCode's Mono IronPython Windows.Forms Tutorial.
ZetCode's Gtk# Tutorial.
Ars Technica: Open Source Mono Framework Brings C# to iPhone and Wii.
Ars Technica: Moonlight 1.0 Beta 1 Shines on Linux
Internet News: Linux Clone of Microsoft Silverlight in Beta.
Dr Dobbs Journal: .NET Development on Linux.
OStatic: Moonlight 1.0 Beta Available
TechRepublic Mono 2.0: .NET goes non-Windows.
eWeek Slideshow Mono 2.0 Project Thrives Slideshow.
NetworkWorld Project releases version 2.0 of open source .Net.
Ars Technica Mono 2.0 released, brings C# 3.0 to Linux and Mac OS X.
Redmond Developer News Mono 2.0 Takes Flight.
Dr Dobbs Journal Mono 2.0 Released.
The Register Mono delivers Foundation-free open .NET alternative.
Infoworld Mono 2.0 lets .NET Apps Run on Linux:
Current Mono user Mindtouch, maker of the Deki collaboration platform, opted for Mono because it sought to provide cross-platform solutions, said Aaron Fulkerson, Mindtouch founder and CEO. "I think Mono is fantastic for us," he said. Mindtouch founders and many of the company's developers had worked at Microsoft and sought to leverage Windows-based development skills, he said. But .Net lacked platform independence. "We very seriously considered going with Java and then [took] a good hard look at Mono," Fulkerson said. Mono was determined to be a "sufficiently mature technology to build on," he said. "In fact, we developed our product and deployed solely on Mono and Linux up until this month," just now adding support for Windows, said Fulkerson.
InternetNews Is .NET on Linux Finally Ready?.
Custom controls with MonoDevelop and Gtk#: discusses how to create custom controls using Gtk# and the MonoDevelop IDE for Linux and Windows.
SCM Trends: Discusses Plastic SCM from Codice Software, and their use of C# and Mono to bring their application to multiple platforms.
ZDNet: Installing and Using Mono in Ubuntu: an in-depth review of using Mono in Ubuntu and the features available to developers.
OnLamp Moonlight: Silverlight goes Mono: an article from Edd Dumbill.
OnLamp Mono: A Progress Report: another article from Edd Dumbill.
News.Com 'Moonlight' makes progress on Silverlight for Linux: an article on the progress so far on Mono's Silverlight implementation for Linux.
InfoWorld: Moonlight beaming Silverlight to Linux: Open source efforts continue in porting of Microsoft multimedia technology.
CodeProject: NetDasm - A tool for disassemble and patch .Net assemblies: an article describing how to use Mono's Cecil library.
ComputerWorld: Novell's de Icaza: No Mono-tony in this project
ComputerWorld: Silverlight coming to Linux via Mono
CodeProject: Mono.Cecil, the most powerfull tool you've never heard of: An introductory article to Mono.Cecil library.
Register Developer: Mono on the Mac: Time to look beyond Linux?.
Linux Format. Mono is on the cover of Linux Format with and the competition "Make it with Mono is launched.
Mono 1.2 Coverage:
CIO Magazine: Mono Upgrade Targets Linux Desktop Apps.
Ars Technica: Novell announces the release of Mono 1.2
ComputerWorld: Mono upgrade targets Linux desktop applications
DesktopLinux: Mono 1.2 brings enhanced .NET features to Linux
EFYTimes: Novell Releases Mono Version 1.2
PC Format, ZA: Novell Releases Mono 1.2 with Enhanced Support for .NET on Linux CMSWire: Mono Runs .NET on Linux
ComputerWorld: Open source and .Net aren’t mutually exclusive.
NewsForge: The state of Mono support on Mac OS X
Computer Weekly: Hot skills: Mono lets Microsoft .net workers go cross-platform.
Mono Beta press release
Mono wins "Best Application Development Platform" award at LinuxWorld Boston/2006.
Linux.Com: Running .Net applications on Linux with Mono
Linux Weekly News: How Mono Got Into Fedora.
The Server Side.NET: Q and A with Miguel "Mono Man" De Icaza
The Code Project: An Alternative to the .NET Framework
Tectonic: Cool Tool: The Sharp family
Seattle PI: Rival Shines in shadows at Microsoft LA Event
LinuxWorld.AU Picture perfect and in tune
CodeProject: MinosseCC: a lexer/parser generator for C#
ITWritting: Miguel de Icaza on Mono
OReillyNet: Porting a Project from Visual Studio .NET to Mono.
Mono/Mainsoft press tour
In May and June 2005, Miguel de Icaza participated in many press interviews with Mainsoft, a commercial company that leverage Mono's libraries to migrate ASP.NET applications to .NET and an important contributor to the Mono project. These are some of the articles that were published:
- Java Open Source for Visual Studio Developers (FTP Online/Java Pro)
- zdNet: Grasshopper hops code from Visual Studio .Net to Linux - for free
- Tool gives Visual Studio Developers Jump on Linux (eWeek)
- Mainsoft, Mono Help With Crossover Development (ADTMag.com)
- Deploy .NET applications on Linux with Grasshopper and Mono (TheServerside.net)
- Mainsoft Launches Visual Studio .NET for Linux Developer Program (Linux Electrons)
- Grasshopper LEAPS! Mainsoft's Visual MainWin For VB.NET and J2EE on Linux (LinuxBusinessNews)
- Miguel de Icaza on Mono (OS News)
CodeProject: Calc# An Introduction to Gtk#
O'ReillyNet: Miguel de Icaza explains how to get Mono
OnDotNet: Building Mono on Windows
OSNews: Mono Applications? Aplenty!
CodeProject: Introduction to Mono Prize Winner, Jan 2005 the Code Project.
CodeProject: A Google Search Application using Gtk#
O'ReillyNet: The Future of Mono
CodeProject: FireBlog a Blog Application under Linux with Mono
O'ReillyNet: Installing Mono on SUSE with Red Carpet
O'ReillyNet: Seven Cool Mono Apps
TechnologyReview: Sellout or Savior?
OnDotNet: Using the Gtk Toolkit with Mono
News.Com: More than an open-source curiosity
CodeProject: Mono on Windows XP
OSNews: Advanced Tips for Mono
Borland Developer Network: Installing Mono: Running .NET on Linux and Windows
CodeProject: Building Applications with Mono
InfoWorld: Whiter Mono?
O'ReillyNet: Exploring Rotor and Mono with Monograph