Novell Forge (http://forge.novell.com/) is a website managed by Novell to promote the development of open source applications and solutions. Novell Forge features communities, akin to foundries on SourceForge.net, which exist for the purpose of facilitating collaboration and information exchange about certain technologies or solutions. At Miguel's request, we have created a Mono community on Novell Forge that is administered by Miguel. This community, located at http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/community/?monocomm, provides a resource for interaction and collaboration on Mono and associated solutions. Each community has the ability to provide forums, mailing lists, FAQs, news, documentation, surveys, sample code, and links to related applications. The Mono community has been created for anyone interested in Mono to use, and the exact set of features offered at the community is determined by Miguel. Any individual or group that wishes to provide Mono-based solutions in an open source fashion is encouraged to host their solution on the Novell Forge website, free of charge. Once the project is hosted on Novell Forge, you can send Miguel an e-mail requesting that your project be associated with the Mono project. This promotes a symbiotic relationship where the growth of Mono applications helps to improve Mono, and the growth of Mono likewise helps to increase the visibility and usefulness of your applications.
Creating an Account
A Novell Forge account is required in order to create a project on Novell Forge as well as for certain levels of participation within a community like the Mono community. In order to create an account, do the following:
- Go to http://forge.novell.com/ and click on the "Register" link.
- You will be redirected to the Novell Login page. This one resource is used by all of Novell's websites that require authentication, so if you already have a Novell login you may use that login here. Otherwise, simply create a login account.
- You will be redirected back to the Novell Forge page. Click on the "create my Novell Forge account" link, near the top left of the page.
- A form should be filled in with the correct information for you. If you like, choose an avatar and then submit the form.
- Confirm the creation of your account.
You should be good to go at this point. Now, to create a project, simply choose the "Start New Project" link from the left menu and follow the steps. Novell Forge offers a limited set of context-sensitive help links and a full help section. If you have trouble, go to the help section at http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/help/about.php.
Novell Forge - http://forge.novell.com/
Mono Community - http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/community/?monocomm
Novell Forge Help - http://forge.novell.com/modules/xfmod/help/about.php